For many buyers considering Windsor real estate with an outdoor kitchen, they don’t know whether it is a plus or negative. Yes, there are many pros, but there are also a few cons to the deal. Does it add to resale value? Will it be used only a few months out of the year? What is the upkeep?
Here are a few pros and cons of outdoor kitchens, whether you are buying a home with one, or thinking of building one for yourself.
1. Nothing tastes better than food prepared outside. We are inside so much of the year, that any opportunity we have to be outside, cook and entertain is very welcome, especially to many buyers looking at Windsor real estate. An outside living area is a huge plus and takes us away from the indoors.
2. With less concern regarding smoke, you can experiment with different foods. Grilling a good steak not only tastes better than broiled, you don’t have to worry about setting off your indoor fire alarm.
3. Cooking food with strong odours leaves your home smell-free. Not only that, clean-up is easier.
4. An outdoor kitchen is impressive and for some buyers, a major plus, especially for those who like to entertain and impress their friends and family.
1. In colder locations, an outdoor kitchen may be used only a few months out of the year.
2. If your outdoor kitchen is located far from your home, this could be a hassle. Will you actually use it if it takes time walking from your home, carrying your supplies and then setting up?
3. If the outdoor kitchen isn’t covered, then cooking during an unexpected thunderstorm or windy day could be difficult if not unpleasant.
4. If the indoor kitchen of your Windsor real estate resembles a professional kitchen, do you really need two? Most buyers won’t think so.
5. Repairs can be an issue. You now have two kitchens that need to be maintained. If an appliance needs to be repaired, it can be costly.
While outdoor kitchens are one of the hottest trends in home improvement, with new and innovative equipment on the market daily, make sure that this is something your family will enjoy and use. If it is, then there is nothing better than entertaining outside.