When sellers leave their Windsor houses that are for sale while on vacation, we suggest a few steps to take to ensure that the property shows well while the residents are traveling. It usually goes without saying, that if anything can go wrong, it will happen while you are on vacation. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen! In fact, many sellers prefer to go vacation when their home is on the market as the house stays clean and there is no interruption to their lifestyle. However, keep in mind these few important tips so that your home is taken care of while you are gone.
1. Let your real estate agent know. If you plan on going for an extended period of time, be sure and let your real estate know and how you can be reached. Also, if your home is getting lots of activity, your agent may want to come by and check to make sure there hasn’t been any problems or household emergencies.
2. Ask a neighbor for help: Since your home will be viewed while you are gone, it is important that your yard is maintained as well as lights are turned on inside the home daily. If you have plants that need to be watered, including indoor, then ask a neighbor to stop by after your bribe them with homemade cookies or a gift certificate to their favorite restaurant.
3. If you have animals, make sure they are lodged somewhere else. Buyers don’t want to see your pets and having a neighbor come to your house to watch them won’t do.
4. Keep thermostats on! If the days are warm, make sure that your air conditioning is set to a comfortable temperature. The last thing your buyer wants to do on a hot day is walk into a hot home. Keep your blinds and curtains closed.
5. Hide all valuables, lock securely in a safe and make sure that your mail is stopped. Don’t have your neighbor pick up your mail and put on a kitchen counter. Make sure newspaper is also stopped while on vacation. Don’t let buyers or any other strangers know that you are not home. This means not advertising the fact on the Internet!