Now that summer is just about over, you have decided to spend the better part of fall looking for a Windsor property. Ideally, you would like to move in before the holidays. Believe it or not, fall is one of the busier times to go house hunting. Chances are, you won’t be alone looking for your next home, so here are some tips to find what you are looking for quickly and at the best price.
1. Make a checklist: Just like you are going to the grocery store, make a list on what you want out of a home. Write down your “must haves.” Then at each home that you are considering, write down the details of each that you like. When looking at several homes, memories tend to fade and you can’t remember what you liked or didn’t like.
2. Smart phone. In previous years, we would say, bring a camera, but now, here is another reason that smart phones are so handy. A picture is worth a thousand words so take pictures of your favorite features.
3. Tell family and friends to stay home: As much as we respect their opinions, don’t bring lots of people when viewing a home. It only creates confusion. The only opinion that matters is yours!
4. Get as much information as possible. If you find that you are really interested in a Windsor property, ask all kinds of questions. What are the utility costs? Homeowner’s fees? Any major repairs needed? Costs add up, so if a particular home is at the top of your budget, then you may need to continue your search.
5. Professional agent. By all means, hire a professional, well-qualified agent, especially one that knows the area and has a good reputation. Make sure you keep in contact and return calls as quickly as possible. You never know if a home just came on the market and your agent thinks it may go quickly.
6. Don’t rush. If you just can’t decide what type of home you want, then take your time and consider that maybe you are not really ready to buy a Windsor property quite yet. It’s easy to want to be a homeowner, but it takes a clear, logical decision process to get there.