Traditionally, spring is a very busy time for the Windsor home real estate market. For many homeowners, it is necessary they sell their home quickly, either due to financial burdens, a job transfer or other pressing reasons. In order to move the house, it needs to be priced competitively and it needs to show well. With the many home choices in the market today, you often don’t get a second chance to showcase your home.
Preparing your Windsor home for sale doesn’t always have to be expensive. Here are some quick, easy and best of all, cheap ideas to stage your home without the expense of hiring a professional stager:
1. Pack Away All Personal Items: No buyer, and I can’t express this enough, wants to walk into a home that in overwhelmed with personal possessions. From walls covered with family photos, to knick-knacks covering every surface, this is an immediate turn off. Buyers need to visualize their belongings in your home, and they can’t when they are on sensory overload. So pack away items for the simple cost of packaging tape and boxes. It’s the best thing you can do when staging your home yourself.
2. Clear Clutter: Much like clearing personal items from your home, clear away the clutter in your garage, you child’s play room, your basement and so on. Have a DVD collection stored on your shelves? Your kitchen countertops overwhelmed with appliances? Pack it away. What you don’t need, hire a storage unit. What you do need, pack away in boxes or organize your closets to create more room. Sell or give away anything that you don’t need or plan on taking with you. Professional stagers recommend that you pack up 90 percent of your home. This is good advice if you are able to do it.
3. Rearrange Rooms: In order to make rooms feel bigger, it’s a good idea to rearrange the furniture for easy flow. Take out the old, overstuffed chair crammed in the corner and the out dated lamps. Walk through model homes, or look online to see how stagers arrange a room to gain maximize potential.
4. Clean, Clean and Clean: You can make all the changes in the world, but if your Windsor home isn’t clean, buyers will walk out the door. When a home is spotless and smells clean, and this includes windows, glass door tracks, ceiling fans, etc., buyers will stay longer and look at your homes special features. For the cost of cleaning supplies and some elbow grease, you will find that this is an inexpensive way to put your home in its best light.
5. Curb Appeal. I am always talking about curb appeal because if your home doesn’t have it, then it is rare a buyer will take any time to walk through your house. If they don’t like the outside, they won’t come inside. Clear your landscaping of debris, mow the lawn, trim bushes and trees if needed, plant seasonal flowers and add mulch. If you need to power wash your home, it is inexpensive to rent one from your local hardware store.
If you need to sell your Windsor home this spring, and you need to do it in a hurry, now is the time to start the process. My team and I are ready to help you get started.