You have decided to sell your home and you know that there are several improvements you need to make to separate it from the other Windsor properties. The good news is, by making these changes, you are increasing your chances that your home will be sold quickly and at a better price. The bad news? You want to get it done in a weekend and handle repairs yourself, despite your experience. This could be a problem.
Making home improvements yourself, without the skills, can often cause more harm than good. Don’t try and show off your home improvement skills, or lack of, just to save some cash. You will save time and money in the long run if you hire a professional if needed. Buyers notice sloppy workmanship and figure if they can see careless work, what must they not be seeing?
Whenever selling any Windsor properties, here are a few things sellers should consider before getting to work:
1. Never hurry a painting job. Sloppy painting lines, drips and not using painter’s tape are always bad news. Take the time to do it correctly and always paint two coats. Carry a wet rag and quickly wipe any slips.
2. Don’t hold-back on hardware. We have said this time and time again. When improving your kitchen with new appliances or staining cabinets, take the time to purchase updated hardware that will compliment the overall look of the room. Don’t skimp on the little things.
3. Upgrade lighting. Dated ceiling lights, particularly in bathrooms constructed in the 1970’s and 1980’s need to be replaced. Hire a professional if you are not familiar with this type of work.
4. Grout lines: If you are tiling a bathroom or kitchen, make sure your grout lines are straight. There are tools available at the hardware store that will make this job simple. Remember that crooked grout lines look like an amateur has done the work and buyers will definitely notice.
5. Landscaping. So many times a homeowner attempts to correct bad landscaping with even worse landscaping. Take the time to know what plants do best in what area of your yard. Avoid any that require daily watering and most of all, don’t skimp. Planting only a few shrubs or flowers in a large area will make the land look sparse. If necessary, hire a gardener or landscaper to make simple improvements that will create a nice curb appeal.
To make money, you often need to spend money regarding Windsor properties. Take the stress off of yourself when making home improvements. Follow the advice and recommendations of your real estate agent if you are unsure how to proceed with making the necessary improvements to your home.