As Windsor real estate agents, we often tell first time homebuyers NOT to buy any large purchases until escrow is closed and the house is officially yours. But there are often lots of things to buy AFTER you are declared the new official owner. Here are some things that you may not have considered:
1. Keys & Locks: It’s never a bad idea to change the locks on your new home. The previous owners may have given a spare key to neighbors, co-workers, family and friends through the years, so it’s smart to change the locks as soon as you are able.
2. Lawn Mower, Garden Supplies: As a first time homeowner, chances are, you have never purchased your own lawn mower. Unless you plan to hire a professional gardener, this may be something you will need to purchase sooner rather than later if you moved during the summer. Don’t forget garden hoses, shovels, rakes and the like if you need them as well. Of course, if it’s winter, then don’t forget snow shovels, ice chippers, bag of salt and a snow blower if money is no object!
3. Tools: At some point, you will need to use tools. Even a hammer and nails are needed to start hanging photos. Some the more necessary tools right away include, screwdrivers, pliers, tape measure, small drill and drill bits. At some point, you will need a plumber’s wrench, staple gun and basin wrench.
4. If you bought a home because of it’s fabulous back yard, and the weather is perfect for entertaining, you still have time to throw a good outdoor party. If your budget allows, you may want to look into lawn chairs, patio furniture and barbecue grill. At this time of the year, you should be able to get some good deals!
5. Most first time homebuyers want to update window coverings and appliances if needed. As Windsor Real estate agents, we can’t stress enough that a new homeowner should not get into debt. If you can live with the current blinds and money is an object, then wait. If your home sale did not include appliances, then of course you will need those items. If buying new is out of your price range, then by all means, look into used.