As Windsor real estate agents, we have seen many homes that have been improperly staged. This can be frustrating because it wastes a very good opportunity to showcase your homes strengths while masking its weaknesses. Many times, sellers will attempt to save money and stage a home themselves. While this is appreciated, unless you know what you are doing, it is often best to hire professionals. Here are some mistakes Windsor real estate agents commonly see:
1. Ignoring Closets: All buyers look inside closets to determine how much storage space is available. But a cluttered closet is like shooting yourself in the foot. Prior to putting your home on the market, clean out all closets and get rid of anything you no longer need. Buy some inexpensive shelving if necessary and make your closets look organized, tidy and as spacious as possible.
2. Ignoring the Pantry: Again, much like the closets, buyers will look inside your pantry to see how much space there is. Make sure it is also organized and that all items are grouped accordingly. If a buyer sees a mess, they will determine that storage in your home is inadequate. Again, this can kill a deal.
3. Ignoring the Garage: Clear out the garage and make it seem as spacious as possible. Get rid of anything that doesn’t belong in there or you don’t have space for. Donate, sell or throw away any items you no longer need. If you need to, rent a storage space. If you have a two-car garage, then make sure you can fit both cars in the garage.
4. Ignoring the Laundry Room: We have seen buyers walk into a laundry room that is covered in clothes, extra socks, bottles of detergent and just unorganized chaos. Again, make sure the room is neat and well thought out. Get rid of anything that shouldn’t be in there. Store items in cupboards neatly. Have a scented candle or room freshener in the room to get rid of any bad smells.
5. Ignoring the Refrigerator: Many sellers use their refrigerator as a bulletin board. Get rid of all the magnets, notes, homework, calendars, lists or anything else you post on your fridge. Buyers don’t want to know your personal business.
6. Ignoring Personal Photographs. Windsor real estate agents can tell you that many sellers think buyers want to see their personal photographs throughout the house. They don’t. They also don’t want to see your personal knick-knacks, your child’s trophies or anything else that pertains to your family. They just want to see a home they can imagine living in and this is difficult if your presence is everywhere.