As Windsor Realtors, we are involved from the very beginning when you decide you are ready to buy a home to the very end. One of the more important parts of purchasing a property is hiring a professional home inspector. This person plays a key role in making sure that you have selected a home that is in good condition. The last thing anyone wants to happen is that you learn your new home is in need of costly repairs after you signed the final papers.
So how do you hire a good home inspector? As Windsor Realtors, we can suggest several, but it is up to you to hire the one that you want to work with. Here are some questions you should ask an inspector before you hire them.
1. Are you affiliated with any professional organizations?
2. What certifications do you have?
3. What will the inspection cover? We would strongly suggest it cover foundations, roofing, chimney, gutters, vents and fans. All doors and windows as well as plumbing and the electrical system should be included as well. Also, heating and cooling systems, ceiling walls and floors, septic systems, wells and sewer lines and insulation and ventilation should be included.
4. How long will the inspection take?
5. How will you report your findings to me? Will I receive a written report?
6. How long have you been in business?
7. How many homes have you inspected?
8. What is the cost? What does this include?
This is an area no homebuyer wants to skimp. Make sure you are hiring the best home inspector available. I can tell you, on behalf of many Windsor Realtors, we have seen some good and bad inspectors and you want to make sure you don’t end up with the latter.